Now school begins for real! Here’s a peek into Lily’s curriculum (I’ll try and link later on…)
Math: RightStart Math Level B
- This came with a huge amount of different and intriguing manipulatives. Lily noticed the number scale that is giant and can’t fit anywhere save for the top of our clock in the dining room. I can’t wait to jump in with her!
Spelling: All About Spelling Level 2
- This is a new program, too. I wasn’t going to start in with formal spelling until after Christmas but I think this will give me peace of mind that we have a focused plan for phonics instruction. It is multi-sensorial. I think she will dig the very short lessons.
Reading & Writing: BraveWriter A Quiver of Arrows
- Even though I planned on starting with Kaya, an American Girl doll, Lily wasn’t into the story so we set up a teepee (thanks, Grampa!) and we chose to start with The Trumpet of the Swan. This will take us the month and along with reading aloud, discussing the story and doing copywork from it, there is a literary concept for each book this year.
- Next week we will jump into our Little Passports World Edition. France and then additions every two weeks or so. Have to get the world map up and the globe nearby so we can find the places we are learning about.
- Well…we were going to study Native Americans to go along with Kaya but…no worries, we still might go that direction, especially as it turns autumnal.
- MIcroscope, nature study and lots of outside experiements
Other Fun Stuff:
- Art…always and maybe an art class mid-week.
- Field trips
- Poetry Teatimes
- End of September~Lily will be going in on some regular basis to read to the younger kids at EuroAcademy
All in all, I am pleased with how this seems manageable and enjoyable. Did I miss anything?
And in case you don’t check back in the archives: look at the little cutie on her first day…in 2011!