Having just discovered some research on gratitude, that people who started their day reflecting on their appreciations felt more grateful at the end of the day than those people who don’t start their day that way…I thought, why not?
- Texture magazine app–I can read all.the.magazines, save and clip and just enjoy, without having to pick any up at the grocery store. I love magazzines and used to be able to download them through the library but this is even better. A true treat for summertime.
- Harry Potter–After years of wanting to read it to Lily, she finally picked up book 1 last week and is reading it to herself. The illustrated copy comes today so maybe Ollie and Emmy can enjoy it with her.
- Low humidity–Yesterday (well, all weeknd) was all about gardening. Trimming hedges, hacking away at shrubs, moving things around. And since it was so beautiful outside, it was pleasant and easy going.
- Library days–Time to go to the library today! Emmy wants her own card since she got one in Avalon…so that will be one of our fun things to do while the other kids are at camp this week.
- Camp–Speaking of, Ollie and Lily are loving camp. No surprise since every day includes games in the gym like dodgeball and Infection, a craft and soccer or something outside. And sometimes popsicles.
Happy last Monday of June!
Summer! Camp and all those appointments and chores you never get to otherwise. When we went to the dentist the other day, I attempted a full sweep through all four of us in one block of time. Whew. It went smoothly and although everybody needs to floss more (of course), there were no cavities or other issues. However, when asked why he didn’t brush his teeth before he got to the dentist (and, yes, he was asked, encouraged and finally told to do it) his answer?
“I was so distracted by my handsomeness that I just forgot.”
And so. Ollie. Gosh. I can’t make these things up.
He also had a big day and lost a tooth as camp was ending. Tooth fairy was notified.
Emmy was so stoked about Groundhog Day. Its nice she goes to school because she really keeps me abreast of those holidays I don’t do too well celebrating. When I picked her up from school she asked if I knew the name of the official groundhog.
“No, what is it?”
That’s right! 🙂
In other news, Ollie is obsessed with the Dragon Masters series of books. We are reading the 6th title…the 7th is slated to be released soon. I didn’t tell him since we have gotten all of them out of the library so far.
Lily checked out many books on FDR. Of her own volition because she wanted to do some research. When she was sick last week, she read a book about Teddy Roosevelt and I wonder if she was intrigued by that? I don’t know but she is gathering facts and reading her books. Maybe a report or prepared talk will follow…
That’s all from here! xo
Today was so fun. People got enough rest (even me….almost). Off to school without a hitch. Home again and then off on errands, the largest of which was going to The Mall! The kids talk about the mall like normal kids talk about, I don’t know, like Disney? It happens so rarely, a trip there, that if we do go it is an EVENT!
So, some stuff picked up, some playing at the play space and then lunch at Cheesecake Factory. Sweet!
Picked up Em and then did what the Pilgrims do…went to hunt down our T-giving feast. Ok, so it was really a can of pumpkin, corn and fruit but Ollie was entertained for 45 minutes of hide and seek and hot and cold.
Friends a then dinner. This week, hoping to inspire quiet activities, we have been playing games. Tonight Sam taught the kids poker. And they caught on right away! O was the big winner.
Then before bed I got a text from mom and it made such a sweet ending to the day. I don’t know…I am really happy that Lily got to be that person in Sara’s life. I’m glad we are raising high energy and open-minded kids. I’m happy she doesn’t even see it as a difference, just a fact. One day we will share this with her but for now, we aren’t going to. But we both agree that it’s pretty special, pretty cool that she chose to see Sara as just another friend–because she is.
Brian, Sara’s dad, told Jean that Sara said (one day while waiting for the bus) “Lily’s the first kid who didn’t question the fact that I have two dads. She didn’t say that’s not possible or you have to have a mother or anything.” 💕
Upside down sleepover–early to bed, early (4:23) to rise!
Pancakes and pancakes
A walk before the massive cold front swooped in
Play all day (and messes and loud children)
Kettles and kettles of hot tea that soothes sore throats
I am thankful for changing my mind. This is HAPPENING!!
The first sleepover of her life and she has plans detailing every.single.thing. Fun stuff, too! Like s’mores and nails and when Ollie and I just left them, they were giving details about a time in their love life that they can now look back on and laugh about (I’m not even kidding!).
So good night from Sleepover Central. Here’s to a restful night! 🇺🇸😈🎮🏀⛳️🎳🍩🍪🍬🎂🍭🍰🍦🍫🍧(Special thanks to Ollie for filling this post with emoticon goodness!)